Day 70

I've finally found it!

In the spring of 1999, I saw a performance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien that literally changed my life. It was the band Built to Spill playing one of their songs live; I remember I'd heard of the band before I saw them, but really knew nothing about them. So, in my quest to discover new music, I stayed up to watch it.

I don't think I'd ever imagined such music existed. I listened with my jaw open, eyes fixed to the screen. I was into a few obscure bands, but my favorite music at the time was definitely either emo-pop (like the Get Up Kids) or third-wave ska, like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. What I saw on Conan was a messy, tangled mesh of hot-wire guitars, stoic melodicism, and tip-toeing dynamics dancing around in the guise of a classic rock homage (listen to the lyrics, see if you can name all of the references). Hearing "You Were Right" live deconstructed what I knew about pop music and broke down the dams plugging my ears.

So, after searching for the video for seven years, I finally found it last night. Take a peek, if you wish. Of course, you may hate it, but that's for watching regardless. I'm so glad I found it, since all of my musical tastes and thoughts are essentially based around my experience witnessing this.

You can watch the video here.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 11/14/2006 10:43:00 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home