Day 72

In all of my interest in "third places," it never occurred to me that there can be a negative aspect to gathering as such. I've always focused on the good aspects of gathering spots: friendship, warmth, happiness, community, and so on. But what about gossip, hatemongering, widescale complaining, and sheer jerkishness? Maybe I never thought about them because I'd never encountered those things in third places.

It's so easy to focus on the good side, maybe because it's so attractive; I mean, who wants to go to their local great, good place and say nasty things about people? I just hope that we (meaning everyone who embraces the third place ideal) will always strive to be a light to whatever darkness might crop up in third places, be it the ones we own or work in or visit.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 11/16/2006 09:58:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love what you've done to the place...the template I mean. I think blogs have some of the same positive/negative aspects that you talk about in respect to third places. It is a spiritual discipline to keep working for the good of these things that we love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home