Day 44

More on Russ's (is that right? I think it is) post.

I'm thinking back to my schoolin' at Geneva, thinking about when I learned the most and what's helped me since.

The conclusion: classes really didn't help much. Working on my own, however, did. Several professors helped in ways that weren't anchored in the classroom.

What's helped me the most--
There's more, of course, but that midnight deadline is awful close. I loved Geneva, and still love it; but I agree with Russ I definitely got the wrong impression from Russ'(s) post, but still--the best things I got out of college were far from the classroom.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 10/19/2006 11:49:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

I usually go with Russ', instead of the extra, awkward 's'.

I'm not sure if I agree with your statement: "the best things I got out of college were far from the classroom." That isn't exactly what I was trying to say. I think that the problem I'm running into at college is that colleges are trying to be all things to all people, instead of concentrating on what they are (obstensibly) good at: education and training.

I think it is a problem, though, when colleges try to make themselves into a small sort of town, with student activities running constantly, etc. You end up getting most of your education outside the classroom, then, because comparably little is spent in/on the classroom. Part of the difficulty with town and gown relations is that the colleges try to be both town and gown! No wonder there is a split between the "academics" and the "student affairs" folks. Maybe this is a bit off topic, though. It would make a killer blog entry though!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Maybe I also have no clue what I'm talking about.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

No, not necessarily. That is a logical next step that can be taken from my post. However, I'm not sure if that's the one I would take. Especially since I'm on a college's payroll...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home