Day 37

November is NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing Month. (Though, as an aside, it is international at this point, and 50K word "goal" technically constitutes a novella.) I'm going to take part in it this year, after shirking way from the challenge since 2002. No longer will I shirk.

You're not allowed to pre-write for NaNoWriMo, but you're certainly allowed to plan. And, since I joined the official site (jasonpanella is my user name) earlier today, I've been batting around ideas. The key is velocity; this is probably the first time in my life that I'm going to try for quantity and not quality. Maybe it'll actually work?

But anywho, planning--I'm thinking of the fictional exploits of a Superjock-ian band, but somehow bridging out into pulp detective novel territory at the same time. I'm thinking of a dreary, rain-soaked college campus, where both paranoia and groupies run high. Like a cross between "High Fidelity" and "the Big Sleep." It might work.

But I might fail. And that's OK. But I'm going to try, dang it, and you should too.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 10/12/2006 09:26:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger John Baldauff said...

I think any story that involves rock stars with guns is a good idea. So perhaps it the band members who should also be the detectives. And then maybe they could piece the murder mystery clues into the lyrics of their songs...some sort of narrative device? Yes, I think that's a great idea.

Ok, actually it's late, cold, and too quiet in my house and that is a terrible idea....maybe a terrible idea worth making a bad, low-budget film about....?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home