Day 40

It's hard being reconciled with my geekhood--geekdom--and nerdiness.

"Oh," you say, "you're not either!" Lies! I am. Accept it. But I admit, the nerd cultural aspects scare me; I sometimes make the mistake of revealing my geekiness to other geeks, who then--scenting one of their own--proceed to bombard me with Babylon 5 quotes and snorted laughter. I duck and run.

But man, I like sci-fi, am good with numbers (though I am not a math/science fan), have played pencil and paper role-playing games for more than half of my life, and--I bet--can score higher on this test than you. Plus the fact that I spend a lot of time reading, freaking out over obscure pop bands from the '70s, and memorizing lines from David Mamet movies (all geek conventions).

I know that pop culture is saying that nerd is the new cool. But it's not. Daily I see the 'cool' people treating the 'nerds' like trash. It sounds very high-schoolish, but having graduated college and worked in the real world (quote end quote) shows that it extends far beyond grade school. I escape much of the scorn; I wonder if it's because I dress like a preppy thrift-store pirate. But man, when I see my community (being College Hill/Geneva and Beaver County) treat nerds like rubbish and worship short-lived sport heroes, I get upset. I might shirk away from the Dagohir types, but when people treat them like freaks--I can't help but think that the guys dressing up in plastic uniforms to toss shapely rubber around are pretty freakish in comparison. Especially when they get mad and break things.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 10/15/2006 05:18:00 PM,

5 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Twixmixy said...

30.37475% - Total Geek

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Janell said...

I know I'll never be one of the cool kids, but at least I only scored 14.99014% - geekish tendencies. Shows there's hope for me yet, or just explains some things I try to ignore.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger RVWarren said...

"Preppy, thrift store ninja" would sound better.

26.82446% - Total Geek

You've got to reveal the score, bro.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Jason said...

41.61736% - Major Geek

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger John Baldauff said...

20.000987% -total geek

 

Post a Comment

<< Home