Day 39

Erica posted something not too long ago about what I'll dub as "social capacity." This is something that I've dwelled on for years, but it never really clicked until I read Erica's post.

Let me explain. I'm a fairly social person; I think "extroverted introvert" might be a better label, but whatever. However, I can only stand so much. I'm shy by nature, but open up fairly easy and am usually pretty wacky once I get to know people. But I get drained easily. I can take a certain amount of high-intensity social interaction because I say to myself, "OK, this stinks. Let's be anti-social!" This is usually the point where I shut myself down to the world and just daydream or read or hide from people.

Today was Geneva's homecoming. I did the alumni band, which mostly ended up occupying the entire day. There were lots of people doing the whole "Hey! How are you? What are you doing now?" schtick, which I sort of avoid to begin with (that may be why I was telling people--with a straight face--that I was a con artist). After so much of that sort of thing, the social misfit emerges. And it emerged tonight, alright--about halfway through the football game. By the time I got back to the stands, I just stared off into space and made small talk with a few close friends.

I often wish I wasn't like this. But I guess it's what I'm like. I've tried to "fix" myself of this social quirk, but it's never worked. So please, if you see me overly distracted or just acting odd, it's probably because of this. Nothing personal.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 10/14/2006 11:54:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Twixmixy said...

Wow, i can't believe i didn't see you all day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home