#18

Uwe Boll.

If you're a film fan, you probably know who he is. If you don't know, stop reading now so you won't get contaminated.

Boll is best known for his film adaptation of video games. Boll is also known for being very outspoken about critics ripping his movies to shreds, especially when they haven't seen them. I've seen them. They're so incredibly bad that they're good but then horrible and not good at all. So there.

Boll's movies aside, he has a loose mouth that unleashes a non-stop torrent of trash talk and sleazy comments, all in broken English. To think--dude has a degree in Literature! This gives me hope.

Anywho, I don't want to dump on him too much. But I'm writing this because Boll had recently issued a challenge to his harshest critics: step into the boxing ring with him and last ten rounds. Boll clobbered one critic a few weeks ago in Spain, and tonight he fought four critics, including Somethingawful.com honcho "Lowtax" Kyanka. I'm very, very curious as to the outcome.

Now, if you didn't know who this guy was and didn't heed my warning...sorry. Sometimes knowledge is a bad thing.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 9/23/2006 10:13:00 PM,

5 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger -K- said...

I randomly read the post "hypocrite" about how it bothers you when you make an error, and someone criticizes you. I can totally relate. As an English teacher, I have to play Grammar Nazi in school. But, sometimes I make a mistake, and the smile of triumph on the kid's face kills me.

In real life, however, I think it's so annoying when someone corrects someone else's Grammar. So I never do that. It's so intimidating to talk with those kinds of people. You know that they're not really trying to communicate with you; they're just judging everything that you say. Gross.

Anyway, people like to make themselves feel superior to others in various ways. Correcting their mistakes might be one of them. But, it signing it anonymously just proves how cowardly they are.

So don't take them to heart.

Also, please don't take this to heart. I'm only saying it so that you can fix it in your real copy if it's there too. But, did you mean "allegorical?"

Also, a fella commented that it's correct to put the periods and commas on the inside of the parentheses, but he likes to put them on the outside. You said that's the English way. I'm just wondering so that I can correct myself. I always thought that you put the punctuation on the outside of the parentheses if it's inluded in the sentence, and on the inside if it's a separate sentence.

Example:

She told me about Bob, (but, she didn't know that I already knew).

She told me about Bob. (She didn't know that I already knew.)

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. I just want to be able to teach the kiddies the correct way.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger -K- said...

I wrote "it" twice in a sentence, and that bothers me.

Also I recall you once correcting my spelling of Lebowski on IM, so you can't get mad about the allegorical business.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Thanks for the comment, Katie. I'm terrible at proofreading (especially when I'm trying to post something before midnight). I'm not taking any of your corrections to heart.

Anywho, I must've totally misread Buddy's comment. The English put punctuation outside of quotes, not parentheses. Your usage is totally correct.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm pretty sure there is a YouTube video of Boll fighting one of his critics. I didn't watch the whole thing, however, because it was long and grainy... which makes me think it really happened.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Buddy Chamberlain said...

For the record, I said both parenthesis and quotation marks (or at least I meant to). Also, for the record, Miss Kokanut, please don't for one moment assume I know what I'm talking about. Lots of people did that once, and I ended up with a college degree. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home