#17- on trust

Eight years of Scouting burnt this into my memory: a Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. That's called the Scout Law. Notice that the first ideal is trustworthy.

Trust is often hard earned and easily lost. Trust is also easy to expect from others. I sometimes dwell on trust; sometimes on the grand scale (trust in the Godhead), but frankly more often in relation to daily interactions with people (though the two obviously tie in together). How much do you trust strangers? Your family? Friends? Co-workers? Yourself?

I'm thinking about it again. Something happened to a friend today. We work together at the bookstore. I'll be stepping down from my 'keyholder' (management) position soon to run Russ and Bethany's coffee shop. My friend is a shoe-in for the position, and several other co-workers and I have been grooming him for the position. My friend is more than capable; in fact, he's probably the one I would trust most in a position like that. He has had some bad self-esteem issues for a while, and a position that demands responsiblity like this would totally help him.

But he's not going to get it--long story short, the main manager decided to nab a keyholder from another store. I guess it makes sense on paper; this second guy is already trained in the keyholder position from the other store, and it's a shorter drive for him to our store. But the main manager all but said flat out that my friend--the first guy--was going to get it. So, my friend was an emotional wreck. (That was hard to do without resorting to names.)

Trust is casually tossed about, though when you think of it, it's something that really impacts you. It's clear what the Fall brought; one aspect that always hits me, though, is how easily humans break their word, or don't trust when they should. I pray that God will work to make me a more trustworthy man.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 9/22/2006 11:32:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

owch. tell your friend i'm sorry. i can't imagine what that's like.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Buddy Chamberlain said...

I really feel bad, dude, both for you and your friend. Unfortunately, as I see it through my Sunglasses of Cuynicism +3, that's just typical of the corporate world.

Trust is only good in that arena in so far as the corporation can trust you. not in how much you can trust the corporation.

That was my big beef with GW. They expected total loyalty from me, and then would turn around and show absolutely zero loyalty to me.

Anyway... I'm sorry all the same.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Buddy Chamberlain said...

dammit. "Sunglasses of Cynicism +3". I hate typos. They make me look like an idiot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home