#13-"Harnessed in Slums"

I was humming it, so I thought I would post it. The name of this 'blog is title of an Archers of Loaf song; it's one of the best call-to-arms out there for the slacker generation. I may sound like noise to many of you, but if you listen closely you can hear some very hummable stuff under the angular noise rock.


Notice the reference to This is Spinal Tap at the end. Notice bassist Matt Gentling pogo-ing around. Notice bassist Matt Gentling's complex, rumbling contribution to the song. Notice how frontman Eric Bachmann looks like, well, a nerd. Also notice how he sounds like Neil Diamond these days. In a very good way, of course.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 9/18/2006 10:41:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger Buddy Chamberlain said...

Now we know. And knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!

Now you've thrown a new band my way. So if I wanted to throw a little bit of the Archers into my CD (or illegal mp3) collection, would "Vee Vee" be a good place to start, or is more recent stuff better?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Well... I didn't listen to the song much, but the bingo video was pretty funny since I see it every thursday morning with the seniors. I would love it if they all got into a big fight at the end! Hahaha

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Bud--If you don't get this message, I'll let you know via some other route.

I'd say all of their LPs are worth getting, but they don't really have a perfect one. All of their discs have SOME filler, in other words. Lots of critics think Icky Mettle is their best, but I'd go with either Vee Vee (which is solid and has some very loud, weirdly melodic tracks) or White Trash Heroes, which I think is a brilliant swan song; it really gets into the more keyboard-driven aspect of the band, and is a great seque into Bachmann's newer band, Crooked Fingers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home