Day 261-- the laptop crowd

My work in a coffee shop has illustrated how needy laptop computer users can be (whoa whoa whoa...before you cry 'foul,' I'm probably going to join the laptop ranks in a few months; I'm writing this with that perspective in mind).

A coffee shop table can usually fit multiple people, or one person with a laptop. Let's say that a coffee house's main room can seat sixteen people at four tables...sixteen people OR four people with laptops. Laptop users tend to create this funky miniature universe on their table, a Mac-fueled recreation of the Chicago suburb sprawl. Cords and iPods and power adapters and carrying cases.

And this is OK. I just think it's sort of funny--I was reading during a busy spell at a, uh, certain coffee shop today, and customers kept peeking into the next room to see if they could find a seat. They were swatted away by the four guys who had staked claims on the four tables, their sympathetic looks suggesting, "Oh geez, sorry I'm taking up so much space...if I only didn't have all of these cords and bags and messenger bags and iPods and etc. etc. etc."

As a relentless people-pleaser, I hope that when I get a laptop, I'll, like, wedge it under my arm or something, or balance it on the corner of the table. Or just not use it at all.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 5/24/2007 11:36:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Hi -- I'm Erica said...

I take my computer to work with me everyday to write or catch up on my computer-related to do list, and the only thing that I take is my computer.

Even if it's only partially charged the battery can last for hours, so there's no need for anything else. I can use it just about anywhere. The folks you describe (and that I see every day at our cafe) are usually just space hogs with poor organizational skills.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

i'd like to note that i kept my laptop atop my lap and occupied just one chair.

it was good to meet you, jason.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw... in the US, even if I was taking up virtually no table space, I would be hard pressed to find someone sharing a table with me.

Hmm, maybe this says something about my personality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home