Day 251

Wilco's sixth studio album, Sky Blue Sky, comes out tomorrow. Despite my new no-CDs/DVDs-buying diet, I might get it.

Regardless, AOL has the album streamed in its entirety today. It's good; like all of the previous Wilco albums, it's a grand departure from the last release. Avoiding the noisy fusion of avant-garde and classic rock of 2004's A Ghost is Born, Sky Blue Sky settles comfortably--very comfortably--in this mid-'70s AM radio rock groove. In other words, it sounds a lot like the Band or electric-era Bob Dylan, with gracious helpings of Beatles pop and jazz rock thrown in. I'm sorry if that's too technical-sounding. It sounds a lot like breezy, back-porch country-rock with some soul and flair.

Or you can listen to it all here. I don't know how long it'll be up--my guess is not for long. You have to scroll through the album selections up top to pick it. It's the last one with the static-filled cover. Mind you, there are a few songs that I don't like ("Shake It Off"), but a few--namely "Either Way," "Side with the Seeds," and the lovely album closer "On and On and On"--might get stuck in my head for a while.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 5/14/2007 12:43:00 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home