Day 228-- the song remains the same

I've always been fascinated by songs that become hits in the hands of others; as in, they're hits for people that didn't write them. This is goofy little list that I've been continuously compiling in my head for over a year. I'm sure some slipped away, and I sometimes avoid the really well-known ones (Beatles covering Motown songs!) but here's what I have so far:

-Rod Stewart, "Downtown Train" (originally by Tom Waits)
-Jeff Buckley; Rufus Wainwright; John Cale; etc. "Hallelujah" (originally by Leonard Cohen)
-Sixpence None the Richer, "There She Goes" (originally by the La's)
-Blondie, "Hanging On the Telephone" (originally by the Nerves)
-Cheap Trick, "That '70s Song" (originally called "In the Street" by Big Star)
-Bonnie Raitt, "A Thing Called Love" (originally by John Hiatt--I think, at least)
-Nickel Creek, "Spit on a Stranger" (originally by Pavement)
-Elvis Costello & the Attractions, "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?" (originally by Nick Lowe)
-Eric Clapton, "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" (originally by J.J. Cale)
-Nancy Sinatra, "(Bang Bang) My Baby Shot Me Down" (originally by Cher)
-Manfred Mann, "Blinded By the Light" (originally by Bruce Springsteen)
-Elvis Presley, "Blue Suede Shoes" (originally by Carl Perkins...who is better than Elvis period)
-Lynryd Skynyrd, "Call Me the Breeze" (originally J.J. Cale)
-Quiet Riot, "Cum On Feel the Noize" (originally Slade)
-Tim McGraw, "Stars Gone Blue" (originally Ryan Adams)
-Sheryl Crow, "the First Cut is the Deepest" (originally Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam/whatever)
-the Animals, "House of the Rising Sun" (originally Georgia Turner)

And the list goes on. Can you add any?

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 4/21/2007 10:25:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger RVWarren said...

I've always been amazed at the Manfred Mann-Springsteen hit. Springsteen is, in a word, better. I've just never understood that.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Christian Eriksson said...

Hey,
You can't just whatever Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam.

Sincerely,
Christian Eriksson

Oh yeah, the Blinded by the Light song...I hate it when people are like "ELO wrote the song" or "Wasn't it Manfred Mann" and I just sit there thinking, "No idiot, the Boss." Anyway, see ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home