Day 198-- on the babysitters' club (following a brief note)

(First, I have to admit I didn't catch the glaring/embarrassing/cringe-worthy error in the last entry title. It's fixed now, thankfully. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry.)


Yesterday at the coffee shop, I was approached by a friend with a thought. We were both part of the various small groups Sunday school classes our church had the last year; he actually taught the bulk of the most recent class.

His request was simple--we were tossing out small group ideas two months ago, and one of the ones I'd mentioned is becoming an absolute necessity. There are many young mothers in our church (and sister churches); I knew a few that are so swamped that, after they spend the day taking care of their children, they have no time whatsoever to relax or have fun with their spouses. It's hard finding babysitters, especially with time commitments, and I know some of the couples don't have much money to toss around to pay the babysitters either.

What they need is a group of volunteers, a net of people within the church willing to help watch children even for an hour. Or, if multiple people can help, maybe one or two can watch the children and others can help cook or clean and so on.

I'm still working this out in my head. It would be great to involve college students, but still have a solid group available once school is done for the spring. It'd be great to have more than one person involved (work in pairs, in other words), but I realize that not every child needs more than one person. Incorporating prayer is a must, as is making sure everyone knows this is a volunteer thing.

I'd love to hear more ideas. I don't know what role I'd play, but I want to at least get the ball rolling. I'm pretty excited about this!

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 3/22/2007 11:13:00 AM,

4 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is already done at least once a month with Mother's Day Out. But maybe something more fluid is what you had in mind.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jason said...

No maybe about it; I'd like to see a group that can help more than one specific day a month.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk, tsk Jason. I didn't think that you would forget about us stay at home dads.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk, tsk Jason. I didn't think that you would forget about us stay at home dads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home