Day 188-- I wrote a book about rock and roll

Spring is near, so that means it's time to start writing another book. Last year I bought a plump journal, grabbed my trusty pen and camped out at Beecher's for a few hours. Having fleshed out the structure of a plot in my head, I tried to let it snowball.

It worked initially. I spent the next few weeks writing; I had been sitting in--for fun--in one of Dr. Hanna's summer classes, and he was a great encouragement. But my interest waned in the end, and I abandoned the project by the end of the summer.

The story ended up being a personal landmark--I think I'd written maybe 15K words, a lot for me. Especially since it was hand-written. I've done most of my work on my computer, so in light of this--and the joy I had editing recently by hand--I think that I want to write by hand all of the time.

While I don't think I'll revisit the manuscript from last year, I may recycle a few ideas. I want to develop the main characters fully before I begin, something I'm prone NOT to do. I also want to set the novel in western PA (at least most of it) and--as someone suggested--write about music or writing. Or both. I have some ideas. Let's see what I can do with them.

(And since last year's book was and this one will most likely be about journalism and music, here's a fun tune about both.)

EDIT: And speaking of music and writing (and fun), I got a big kick out of the latest post on the 'blog of one of my favorite bands, Dolorean. Take a peek.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 3/12/2007 09:35:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Did you write the book? Or your doppelganger?

Save your answer for Queen Doppelpoppelous.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Mike said...

You should definitely set it in Western PA... this place is perfect for story-telling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home