Day 85-- on a particular hard-to-find movie that I want to watch, but can't

It's called Stars in My Crown. A few trustworthy sources said that this is a lovely, beautiful movie that must be watched by fans of cinema (raising hand!), especially Christian cinema fans (raising hand!).

It was filmed by Jacques Tourneur, a well-respect, humane, quiet and joyous director who basically used all of his money to get the film made, resulting in him making enemies in the Hollywood studios because the film LOST money in the box office. Tourneur is well-known for some of his subtle horror and noir films, like Out of the Past, Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, and Night of the Demon (considered by many to be the best horror film made, period).
Enough backstory. Stars in My Crown was not a hit. The possibility of it being release on DVD in my lifetime is very, very slim. I mean, have you heard of it before now? It is available on VHS, but it's long out-of-print. And, judging from the current asking price on Amazon...I'll hold off on getting the cassette tape. (Check out those reviews, though! Wow!)

I've culled my spending on movies and books and CDs to almost nil; this is good! But it seems like when I do want to search for a movie or whatnot that I'd like to own, it's either rare or--like in this case--basically nonexistent. But I will remain patient--it took over ten years for one of my favorite movies to get the DVD treatment, so waiting a tad more won't hurt.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 11/29/2006 11:10:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Netflix?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jason said...

No; Netflix only ships DVDs. Stars in My Crown isn't available on DVD, and may never be.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Ah, my mistake. I'll keep my eye out for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home