Day 81

Well, on to something more trivial, I guess. Can you hear those crickets? I can.

We had an author signing at the bookstore yesterday. I won't use a name. She's local, and her books sell a lot. She has quite a fanbase in the area. I'm very supportive of her in this aspect; she's even been mentioned as "someone to watch" for in literature publications. It's great to have a local author that sells like this, and has the support of the local populace.

Problem: her work is terrible. I'm not being cruel. Well, maybe. But it's pretty bad. Everyone has their own tastes, you say. Let them be! OK. But her writing is still $20 worth of vanity-printed cliche.

How do you draw the line? It's great to say, "I want to support good local writers." But we have a local author who is making an impact, but with poopy fiction. I want to support her, but I don't.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 11/25/2006 09:13:00 PM,

2 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Herein lies (lays?) the problem for all localists. I can think of many businesses in the area that I would like to support, but don't because of their lack of quality. Quantity, which is the main draw of the big box store, is a hurdle easily met--if the stores that carry the variety are close together. Quality, though, must be the key selling point of all local-based things. Otherwise, there is no overriding reason for most (including oftentimes myself) to "go local".

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Yeah, she spent a good bit of the day trying to talk me into reading her stuff...yeah...nooooo...

Hope all is well. Good luck with the coffee shop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home