Day 82-- on folk music

Folk music is quite interesting. If still-shots of scenes from A Mighty Wind are flooding your mind, good. The most broad definition of folk music is the sort of thing the common man plays, removed from the realm of popular music, highlighting the fears/dreams/thoughts of these people. It's hard to pin down an exact definition, as most folk historians make sure to note.

And I do like American folk music. But I've had a growing interest in some of the traditional music from other countries, especially European ones. I really don't know much, but I'm looking for a place to start learning about it. I guess Wikipedia'll be the place to go for now.

Here are some interesting articles:

-Sea shanty
-urban folk
-a list of European folk music traditions
and, within that
-polka (Czech--yes, not Polish)
-mazurka (Polish)
-bolero (Spanish)

Of course, there are countless folk music traditions from around the globe. Off the top of my head, there are several Asian and African stylings that I've heard and loved, but don't know what to call 'em.

So, celebrate folk music. I'm interested in learning to play button-box accordion (really!), and would like to start a small mazurka band some day. Anyone else want to join me?

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 11/26/2006 08:36:00 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home