Day 59

I saw Geneva's production of "Arsenic and Old Lace" tonight. It was a lot of fun. After some conversation during the intermissions, though, I thought about how different generations relate to different types of humor. The "show, don't tell" idea isn't even an issue here, I don't think. Dialogue-based humor--or I guess even dialogue-driven anything--seems to appeal more to older crowds. Lots of folks in my generation are more drawn to slapstick, "in your face" laughs. Why is this?

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 11/03/2006 11:49:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Lucas said...

probably because dialogue-based comedy relies heavily on wit, which often requires more maturity than the vast majority of the 25 and under crowd posseses (sp?)

slapstick always plays better to younger crowds because it requires less thinking and less attention. you don't have to follow a joke's setup, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home