Day 356-- it's Blade Runner all over the place

I watched Batman Begins tonight. I'd never seen the movie before, and I liked it considerably. Throughout the film, though, I noticed many stylistic flourishes that reminded me of the incredible, incredible Blade Runner.

Well, turns out that Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan took lots of inspiration from Blade Runner. Doing so served Nolan well.

Then, I recalled that means minutes before watching Batman Begins, my friends and I saw a commercial that left me stammering, "that...looks like Blade Runner." I can't even remember what the commercial was for, but it featured panning shots of oppressive skyscrapers weighed down by giant, Asian woman-adorned TV screens.

Despite the fact that Blade Runner bombed when it came to theaters in the early '80s, it's left a considerable cultural impression (not to mention a huge cult following, including countless filmmakers and authors). It's left enough impact that this sort of thing can be released and actually have people clamoring to be it. (I am one of those people.)

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 8/28/2007 12:12:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 2:14 AM, Blogger Jonathan Dodd said...

I am in the clamoring camp, too, Jason. I watched Blade Runner again just the other night, as a matter of fact, and it's as you said: incredible, incredible.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Yeah, I'm also a clamorer.... I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get to review that sucker for DVD Verdict.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home