Day 182-- on the cold

I can't figure this out.

I like cold weather. I enjoy the seasons and the change from one to the next, but always look forward to trees shucking leaves and snow-etched wind blowing them away. Plus, snow is beautiful. And I spent a large portion of my childhood camping in this weather, so I've developed a high cold tolerance

But I'm cold. Very cold. My house is freezing: the kitchen door is so mangled that air flows through freely, the furnace coughs and sputters to life as an afterthought, and the space-heater that I dug from a closet--about my age, it seems--is rattling behind me, issuing foul chemical smells more often than heat.

I was cold at the coffee shop--dreading going home, I tried staying by the fire after work. Still cold. Multiple layers didn't work. Keeping my mind off of it didn't help, especially considering the material I'm reading. I started feeling passably toasty around 6 p.m., but--realizing how long I'd been at the shop--headed home so I wouldn't feel like a vagrant bumming heat off of my employers.

It's March. Spring is, looking at the calendar, pretty close. Come spring, come.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 3/06/2007 07:38:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Evie Hemphill said...

That's awful your house is so cold. It was like that back at my apartment sometimes, and it was all I could do to just get up in the morning and move. I have a space heater you can borrow if you like (now I live in a place where the furnace works so I don't need it!). Seriously, let me know. Being cold is the worst.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home