Day 186-- purging

I made a fairly big decision yesterday--I'm getting rid of 1/4 of all of the CDs and DVDs that I own. Since I own around 160 DVDs and 500 or so CDs, that means I'm getting rid of a lot.

"Getting rid of" doesn't translate as throw away; I'm either giving them to people who want them, or trading them into FYE for store credit (to get movies or music for other people) or cash (to save).

I started tonight. The first round, I called it. I pulled about 16 DVDs from my shelf, which resulted in close to $60 in cash/credit. You may see what I do with it. You may not.

This is after lots of thought, too. Why am I doing it? Well, several reasons. I think I own lots of music and movies solely to own them. That's been gnawing on me for years, but I finally decided to do something about it. I also own lots of movies because they're "good movies," i.e. I purchased these movies over the past few years because they're the movies that movie snobs should own. And that's a silly reason to own something. Lastly, I scanned over some of the titles and thought, "Would I want my children watching some of these?" The answer was no; that isn't to say that I own "bad" movies, but what I once thought was edgy and challenging now seems a bit more childish and meaningless. Keith made a good point, though--before I made any rash decisions regarding this, I also thought, "would I be OK with my grown children watching this?" That saved a few good movies from getting the axe.

But the first go-through is done. I haven't even started with the CDs yet. I think I'll probably be able to clear out maybe 40 on a first pass. And you know what? I feel great about this.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 3/10/2007 04:13:00 PM,

6 Comments:

At 1:14 AM, Blogger Christian Eriksson said...

Any chance I may be able to look at some of the CDs you are thinking of getting rid of...I may be able to take some off your hands, and maybe some DVDs. I will pay of course.

Christian

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Oh, you will pay, Christian, you will pay...

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Christian Eriksson said...

Russ,
You are ridiculous.

Christian Eriksson

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger theBildungsroman said...

you should join LaLa and get cds you want for the ones you want to get rid of.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ian said...

You should have a "yard sale". I bet you could get more money from a private sale than you could from trading them in.

Ian

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I don't necessarily want to get CDs for my stuff, Dave. I want to get rid of it, period.

And Ian, I'm considering it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home