#5

These fast readers. They sit there, perched like the Thinker, plowing through books like a fat kid through Halloween candy. I don't envy them, per se, but I guess I'm close.

I'm sluggish when I read. I can't sit and read for long periods of time, and when I do read I get distracted easily. It there is background noise, it's nigh impossible for Jason and reading to get along. (There is a medical explanation for this, but I won't get into it.) I'm at the point in my life that I doze off when I'm in a reclining or sitting position for more than ten minutes.

Let's say I have a 300 page novel. If I can finish that in 10 days, I'm blessed. I finished "Pride & Prejudice" a few weeks ago--my edition was 280-some pages long, and it took me almost 20 days to read (good book, by the way).

Once in a while I'll get into a groove, flying through a book at a good clip. Other times I'll be able to block out the background noise. But these are rare occasions. If you're around me and see me getting irritated as I try to read, don't take it personally--it's like one of my greatest passions is handicapped by a litany of quirks. Maybe that's why I gravitate toward solitude.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 9/10/2006 11:26:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Buddy Chamberlain said...

For some reason the only books I can fly through are paperback sci-fi novels, like City of Heroes books, or Warhammer books. Anything the slightest bit beneficial to me, and it's like pulling teeth to get my eyes to stay on the page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home