Day 321-- for Sheldon

My ranking of the Coen brothers' films, from greatest to worst (NOTE: I'm thinking about overall film value here, not which I enjoy more than the others)--

Fargo
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
the Big Lebowski
Blood Simple
the Man Who Wasn't There
Hudsucker Proxy
Raising Arizona
the Ladykillers
Intolerable Cruelty

I won't budge on the fact that I think Fargo is their best film. I also won't budge on the fact that I think the Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty are their worst (in their defense, those are the only two movies that they didn't write the screenplay from scratch). The rest of their movies are on a narrow sliding scale--while I put Raising Arizona much lower than Barton Fink, they're still both 4.5 to 5 star (out of five) movies.

Feel free to argue with me about why I ranked things a certain way. And where will No Country For Old Men rank on this list, especially considering that it's an adaptation (a first for the brothers)? If it's anything like what I've heard from advance reviewers, probably in the top four.

The brothers should be well-regarded, though, by fans of cinema. They've had few missteps in their 10+ film career, and their hits are almost always out of the ballpark. Can you say that for any other contemporary filmmaker(s)?

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 7/23/2007 11:20:00 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home