Day 296-- low-brow vs. high art

I read an article posted online the other day, a look back at the first Die Hard film and why it matters in film history (and why the second and third ones in the franchise don't). The article's author brought up an interesting point: among other things, the film could be seen as America's wave of pop culture (John McClane, awash in vulgarized western lingo) vs. European high art (sleazy Hans Gruber, eurotrash sophisticate).

As much as I've studied culture and the arts, I still am not sure how to approach the "high vs. low" argument. I think I dismiss both of those terms; art is art, I say, be it classical music or graffiti. But I can't help but wonder if the terms may have a place. Maybe I don't want to think more on it because it would force me to re-think certain stances I hold that've taken, well, years to arrive at.

What say you?

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 6/28/2007 07:37:00 PM,

2 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Chris said...

art is art. the end.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Ian said...

But what is art?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home