Day 286-- why eMusic is cooler than iTunes

1) While iTunes has a great selection, eMusic has a better selection. And eMusic has exclusive concerts from bands, out-of-print material and a huge roster of mainstream and independent artists. iTunes sometimes has exclusives, but eMusic still wins with their selection.

2) eMusic doesn't have creepy copy-protected file issues. If you buy an MP3 off of iTunes, you can initially only listen to it on an iPod. ONLY. You can rip the song from iTunes to a CD and then rip it again as an MP3...but that's a lot of work. If I download songs from eMusic, I can listen to it any way I like.

3) eMusic is inexpensive. While you pay per song with iTunes ($0.99 per track), eMusic has a flat fee. I signed on initially to do a free trial offer: it was free for a month and I got 30 downloads. I downloaded the songs and then canceled the service. They made another offer--sign up for a paid program and get 50 more songs free. So I signed up for the basic program--30 songs a month for $9.95--and got 50 more tunes. That's 110 songs for $9.95. For a few cents more you can get one album on iTunes. Do the math.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 6/18/2007 09:50:00 PM,

4 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Hi -- I'm Erica said...

OOoooo. Nice. I don't buy a lot of music online, but I'm going to have to check that out.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Al said...

I think this confuses me. When I was blessed to have a friend grant me his two months of emusic as a gift, I LOVED IT, and yet i found myself never wanting to purchase this on my own. For various reasons...

One being that I spent more time downloading and hording music than actually throughouly listening to each song I downloaded.

two i love the artistry of the package. I miss that when I buy music online.

By various reasons I mean two, mainly. Yet I guess i'm still confused why you would rid of all those cd and then go ahead and buy more songs. Doesn't that deplete the whole concept of getting rid of them in the first place. I may have missed something here, my apologies for my ignorance.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Why, then, did you love it?

I'm a big fan of album art--I mean, the main reason why I kept my collection so many years was mainly because of the album art excuse. And some albums are just a complete package. But the music I really cared about stood on its own, art or no.

I don't have the hording problem; so if anyone does, don't download music.

And on your third point, my getting rid of my CD collection doesn't prevent me from getting more music. I never said this, ever. I'm just being more judicious about it. Saving more money, making sure I get music that I know I'm going to love (everything I've downloaded from eMusic has been on non-stop repeat for the past month or so). If you want to know why I got rid of them, read the old post again.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Al said...

I loved it cause I love music, for the same reasons you do (that the artists and selections are good).

I like how you said "music you really care about stood on it's own..."

It's true, you did not say that is why you got rid of your cd's. Have you ever assumed something in your head and then cannot rid of it. My apologies for that.

Thanks for your feedback on my questions and thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home