Day 293

In all of my music archiving, I've often been drawn to the songs sung by musicians who normally aren't lead vocalists. Best example: when Ringo sang for the Beatles.

So I started digging through my music collection and recalling everything I've ever heard to find a collection of songs--good songs--that have a usually-not-singing-ever band member singing. The results are definitely good so far. Here are a few I want to highlight:

-"Bottomless Cup," by the Jayhawks (drummer Tim O'Reagan--a solo artist in his spare time--does a fantastic job...it's a pretty, subdued tune with a funky backbeat.)

-"Promises Broken," by Soul Asylum (lead guitarist Dan Murphy sings occasionally, but I think the few songs he's contributed to the band's huge song catalog are among the best. In fact, I'd say "Promises Broken" is the best song the band has ever done, a shuffling country pop rock song that's a nice departure from the scronky pseudo-Replacements mush that frontman Dave Pirner sometimes gets into.)


-"Saint Behind the Glass," by Los Lobos (though drummer/songwriter-turned-guitarist/songwriter Louie Perez has co-written most of the band's songs, he rarely sings. Still, "Saint Behind the Glass" is one of the band's best songs, somehow fragile and playful at the same time. Perez has a nasally voice, but it still works in the context.)

I'm still trying to think of some other ones. Have any input, readers?

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 6/25/2007 09:31:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Ian said...

U2: "Seconds" on the War album, and "Van Diemen's Land" from Rattle and Hum; both sung by the Edge (well, actually, I think only the first few moments of Seconds is the Edge).

White Stripes: Meg White on "In the Cold, Cold Night" on Elephant is endearing, groovy, and infectious, all at the same time.

Ian

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jason, it's Karissa (Little Mike's girlfriend). "Saint Behind the Glass" is awesome--it is on the soundtrack for "Nacho Libre," which I purchased via iTunes (and almost all the songs are on my frequently-played list!). Just thought I'd share my enjoyment of that song with you! If I think of others I'll be sure to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home