Day 136-- the "girl" mix tape

My latest entry into themed mix tapes/CDs is one comprised entirely of songs with women's names as the title. There are lots of choose from, which is what a few people told me. This is true, and then when I went to look I realized how hard it is to actually FIND lots of songs.

The two main rules:
1) the title has to be just the first name or first name and surname. Using any song featuring a woman's name is way too easy, though I will say using this rule resulted in me leaving some killer tracks out (Interpol's "Stella was a diver..." and Freedy Johnston's "Evie's Garden" are two great examples).
2) No Barry Manilow or KISS.

The list so far. I have room for maybe one or two more, if you're willing to give suggestions.

1. "Denise," Fountains of Wayne
2. "Julianne," Ben Folds Five (I'm thinking of possibly replacing this with "Alice Childress" by the same band)
3. "Suzanne," Leonard Cohen
4. "Allison," Elvis Costello
5. "Claire," Morphine
6. "Daphne," Django Reinhardt
7. "Nicole," Ash
8. "Mary Anne," Marshall Crenshaw
9. "Jolene," Cake
10. "Megan," the Smoking Popes
11. "Julia Miller," Richard Buckner
12. "Carolina," Josh Rouse
13. "Emily," Freedy Johnston
14. "Ana," Pixies
15. "Mykel & Carli," Weezer

It's a fairly eclectic mix (Django Reinhardt before Ash is pretty bizarre), which is what I was hoping for. It even has some of my favorite songs of all time (the Crenshaw song, the Weezer track--it's pre-crap days for them--and the Costello track). I'm excited about it.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 1/19/2007 02:49:00 PM,

10 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Twixmixy said...

Sounds like a fun mix. Any chance i could get my hands on it?

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Christian Eriksson said...

Okay, here's my song to add. I don't know if the song has to be about a girl, but it is about a relationship, and it is one of the better songs by the band. It's "Chelsea" by Counting Crows. It is a hidden track on Across the Wire: Live in New York Disc 1.

Christian Eriksson

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Al said...

Reading your blog is dangerous. I was about to get up and look through all my cd and music collection and forget the fact that I am actually trying to get some work done (I guess reading your blog and writing this now, negates the fact that I was doing "work").

...Anyway, I'm a big fan of the educational post on 'indie rock"...I feel a bit more smart (s-m-r-t), so I thank you for that post and your time spent on these things.

ps what about the cd of last year...I need to get my hands on your a-mazing mixes.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

How about "Lola"? I know it isn't really about a girl, but still...

Or "Lorelei" by Styx?

Or "Layla" by Clapton?

In other words, where is the classic (indie, ha!) rock?

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Great blog and list.

Here's my six cents:
Ana Ng-They Might Be Giants
Jessica-The Allman Brothers
Grace-U2
Holly Holy-Neil Diamond (is that a last name?)
Eleanor-Bill Mallonee
Ann Jane-The Jayhawks

Whatcha think?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Actually, YES-- I knew the Jayhawks had a girl-named song and I forgot which one. Plus, "Ana Ng" is amazing. I'll be adding a few more.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

+1 on Eleanor and other songs about dead first ladies!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Jean - The Proclaimers
Carmelita - Warren Zevon

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Oh, oh...

Alice - Tom Waits

Can't believe I forgot that one.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger kailey's mom said...

Sally MacLannane- The Pogues

Cecelia, Thelma & Mrs. Robinson (if it's not a rule violation)--Paul Simon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home