Day 113-- miscellanea on shopping, etc.

Today after work, I went shopping. I generally enjoy shopping, an odd thing--at least according to many I've asked--for a heterosexual man.

I was excited to go shopping. Moving to Beaver Falls has not only put me within walking distance to my main workplace and church, but also within reasonable driving distance to some major shopping action. Let's chronicle it all, since I'm sure everyone wants to know about this. Comments will be interjected when needed.

STOP ONE-- The Book Tree in New Brighton. Purchases--several books for the coffee shop, including an older copy of a Graham Greene novel and "I Capture the Castle," a book I want to read someday (yesIamaheterosexual). I told the owner: "You look just like your dad!" His father owns the other Book Tree location in Center Twp. The son frowned at me. I shifted awkwardly. Awkwardly. Approx. time 3:25 p.m.

STOP TWO-- College Hill Pharmacy/Beaver Falls Coffee & Tea Co. Purchases--stamps. I like stamps. Approx time 3:40 p.m.

STOP THREE-- Borders Books and Music, Northway Mall. Purchases--"the Death of Adam" by Marilynne Robinson, "Crime & Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky, "Forty Stories" by Anton Chekov, and "the English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje. This Borders just blows my mind. I found around nine books I wanted, but made sure to stay within my Borders Group discount/gift card limit. The man who wrung me up, a near-cyborg of a worker, looked at my books and said, "Hooooly, you got some literature." I mouthed a shy Garth half-grin. "I like to read." Approx. time 4:45 p.m.

STOP FOUR-- Half Price Books, McKnight Rd. Purchases-- "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes (new translation!), "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy, and "the Alienist" by Caleb Carr. Everything was 20% off this week at HPB, so I decided to hit the one close to the big Borders. I'd never been to this one. It was impressive. I saw an old friend from high school and his wife (who also decided to venture far from the bowels of Beaver County for 20% off books). I also decided that to work at HPB you need not own a razor (if you're a man...or, well, nevermind), or you need to be a burly or socially robotic woman. Approx. time 6:00 p.m.

INTERMISSION-- Traffic! McKnight Rd.! Blargh! I was surprisingly less stressed than usual. I think this was because I seriously stopped caring. I also learned the names of some of the routes and highways, because I was chanting them out to myself. Not having a radio doesn't mean you can't have fun.

STOP FIVE-- Ross Park Mall, McKnight Rd. Purchases-- longsleeved brown shirt (Banana Republic), blue sweaterish pullover (the GAB GAP). Ross Park Mall had lots of people shopping, none of them aware of the people walking behind them. I was making little steamroller noises in my head. I was so totally excited to go to the Ross Park Mall, and then I realized there wasn't much there that interested me. Especially since they took out the little indie music store a few years ago. But still, the pullover I found at the GAP was a steal...I mean, not literally. I also spent way too much time looking through Banana Republic for something awesome that wasn't also more than $60. It's my favorite clothing store, mind you, and I usually dive into their clearance rack with glee, but their "sale" was a crock of lies. A pool of mistruth! $90 SHIRTS NOW ONLY $80 AWESOME AMAZING WOW! I did find a few awesomeamazingwow shirts that were within gift card limit, but they were Men's Smalls--the Banana Republic equivalent to leaving your shirt in the dryer for a month. They did have a few really nice scarves (scarfs? scarfi?), but as Kailey once told me (well, this is a bad paraphrase) "you can get them cheaper elsewhere." Yeah, $50 for a scarf. Um no. Approx. time 6:30 p.m.

STOP SIX-- 3 Sons Dogs and Suds, Wexford. Purchases-- hot dog, 10 bottles of of microbrew/import beers. I stopped here mainly to A) get a killer hot dog B) see if they had a bottle of Hebrews I could buy for Russ. I got A in spades, didn't get B (though I got a beer for Brett, but he's cooler than Russ anyway. What?), but got C. What is C? Some nice beers to store for later. This place is cool! Approx. time 7:10 p.m.

STOP SEVEN-- Chick-fil-A, Cranberry Twp. Purchases-- two pieces of cheesecake, vanilla milk shake. Keep in mind that I'm lactose intolerant. Approx. time 7:40 p.m.

STOP EIGHT-- Beaver Falls Coffee & Tea Co. Brett, Russ and I in the same room for longer than 20 minutes should be illegal. Hmm. Let's make it so!

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 12/27/2006 10:48:00 PM,

4 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Jason, you never cease to humor me. How are you doing? Just wanted to give you my new blog information. Talk to you soon. Oh, I will definitely be hanging out at the new coffee shop.

Christian Eriksson

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Us hanging out together probably should be illegal. It would keep us from doing other illegal activities... if you know what I mean... and I think you do...

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Let's not bring the State into this gentlemen. We can be self-governing without the addition of oppressive legislation.

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hebrews is a good beer. If you can fin d it, and (more importantly) if you like dark beers, try Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.Easily one of my top 3.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home