Day 105

Something I've been thinking about: there are a lot of bands that I think I like but probably wouldn't like if I hadn't been following them since early in their careers. Best example is Death Cab for Cutie. I remember hearing a few songs via Napster in 2000, and really liking them. So I bought their first two LPs (all that had been released at the time) and really got into them.

And the band has changed a fair amount in the past six, almost seven years. Compare their debut Something About Airplanes with their latest (Plans), you'd notice some similarities but probably think they were two totally different bands. I think if I hadn't fallen in love with the dreamy, lo-fi pop of Something... and only discovered the band now, I'd hate them. OK, not hate them, but find them occasionally interesting, slickly overproduced, and catering toward people in the 19 to 21 demographic. Maybe that's why I sound like a cranky old man and say, "back before you heard of these guys..."

The same goes for some other bands: Built to Spill, Weezer (Weezer is probably the best example), Wilco, Modest Mouse, and on and on. I guess the last two examples are a little different because their latest releases are as good or even better than their earlier stuff, but their back catalog holds a place in my heart that newer fans might not understand.

Maybe that's why I can't get the Decemberists. I like them in theory (literate, eclectic pop, et cetera), but when I hear their new album, I'm like eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. So I'm going to forget that I heard the Crane Wife (their newest), and start from the beginning. Maybe it'll work.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 12/19/2006 07:22:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for it. i think it'll be worth it.

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for it. i think it'll be worth it.

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for it. i think it'll be worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home