Day 102-- a few thoughts
Saturday, December 16, 2006
- I get no joy writing about music. It's happened over the past month. I've been working on a "favorite songs of 2006" post that's taking a long time, if only because it seems like a chore. I'd rather just talk about music face-to-face or play music. Which leads to...
- ...this past week, my great friend Charlie Modro asked me to form a little band with him. Our primary goal seems to be to provide occasional music for the coffee shop. Charlie will play guitar, I'll play bass, we'll both sing. We'll see what comes of this. I'll keep you posted.
- I've had a pretty bad week overall. There's been lots of emotional strife, barely any sleep, and lots of sickness. I think the three work together. I've had some really bad money-related things happen, some friends were incredibly callous to me (which really hurt me, and I don't think they realize it), I'm not eating, and so on. I'm also feeling very awkward around a few people that I don't want to feel awkward around, and if you know me well, feeling awkward is something I dread more than death.
- But despite all of this, God continues to bless me in ways that may seem small but leave me speechless and tearfully thankful. Some examples: I'm (slowly) reading a novel that continues to amaze me with how wonderful it is; my friend James comes to the coffee shop more and more, which is great since I really enjoy talking to him; I got to chat with two people I haven't talked to in a while, and they--out of the blue--bought me a small Christmas tree, something I wanted to get this week but wasn't sure if I had the time or money...I was almost in tears; lots of people I care about, but don't really know how to express it to them, are appearing in my life more and more--this is pretty cool; someone else I know gave me a small neck pillow to help me sleep...I've already tested it, and it's wonderful (this was another unexpected gift); the amount of good conversation I've had in the past week at the coffee shop is more than I've had in an entire year. All of these are just the tip of the iceberg, to use that cliche.
- Sometimes sitting down for five minutes and reading the page of a good book is more enjoyable than any sort of visual or audio media saturation.
- After several weeks of what seems like non-stop work for Russ, Bethany and I, we're going to have some days off this upcoming week. This isn't just because of the small break we get for Christmas, but some of our part-time employees are able to handle things by themselves...so that means days off!
- One music thought to close this out: I really find lots of beauty in atonal, noisy music...but this is such a hard thing to articulate to many people. Anyone with me on this? Holla?
posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 12/16/2006 10:49:00 PM,
- At 11:36 AM, lucas said...
tell Charlie I said hey, and that he never hangs out with us anymore, which makes me sad.
- At 12:15 PM, Stacey said...
Sorry to hear you've had a bad week, hope life gets better. I'm coming home on Friday and I'll definitely stop by the coffeeshop soon thereafter.
See you soon - God bless,
- At 4:38 PM, Qere Ketiv said...
Atonal like Schoenberg? (spelling may not match reality). Or like Cage?
Or like Panic! At the Disco!?