Day 309

This post is probably aiming at an incredibly narrow niche audience: I'm going to write about what music I'm playing at a performance that very few readers--if any--are attending.

I'm play a few songs next Saturday night. My friends Mike and James are doing a stand-alone episode of their great comedy adventure serial at Beaver Falls Coffee & Tea Co., and they asked me to play a bit between segments. It'll be me and two guitars (to switch it up a bit).

I brainstormed a bit, trying to think of a good setlist. I originally wanted to doing a bunch of covers from ONE BAND, but nixed the idea. Then I thought of doing a smattering of eclectic covers. Nixed that, since I do it almost every time I play music.

Then I pulled the '80s card--covers of pop tunes from the 1980s. This stuck. I want to do a folk rendition of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." I just have to figure it out. I want to do a mellow, different-key version of Ray Parker Jr.'s great theme from the Ghostbuster movies. I have to figure this out. I want to do either a straight cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise" or "the River." I will figure out whichever is easier for me to sing and play simultaneously. Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen" or "Get Outta My Dreams (Get Into My Car)" are both possibilities, as is the Church's "Under the Milky Way."

These choices! So hard. Any suggestions? Oh, and if you're not doing anything on Saturday, July 21st, be at BFC&TCo. at 7:30. The radio show will be a blast (and the music might be OK too).

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 7/12/2007 01:31:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Mike said...

No, Jason... the music is gonna ROCK!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Jay,

I think you should decide which mood you want to go with; They all seem to be more on the jovial side except for the Sprinsteen tunes and "Under the Milkyway". If you lean toward the more lighthearted, my pick is the Ghostbusters theme, just for the novelty of it. Although, you singing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" would be worth the price of admission alone. On the other hand, if you decide to get serious, I think "The River" is the way to go. "Brilliant Disguise" is too, I don't know...that whole period of Bruce music just isn't my favorite. I do plan on being there, and I can't wait to hear whatever you choose. Hey, your taste in music is on par with your taste in beers, so you're sure to pick a winner either way.

Ian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home