Day 116-- on hearing loss

I have it. I don't think about it much, but every so often the topic comes to mind. I first experienced hearing loss when I was in 6th grade. I had an ear infection that winter. Then I had another. And then another. And then another. Three of them were in the same ear. I went to the doctor a year later, after another ear infection--he said I had permanant damage to my ear drums. (When I was in middle school, I seemed to collect ear infections like a kid might collect bottle caps or Buffalo nickels his grandfather gave him.)

All of those ear infections gave me a slight hearing condition (at least, I think--it's a self-diagnosis that really fits, but I've never really felt like spending money to get it confirmed when that won't do anything to help it). This is a story for another day.


I was walking to the coffee shop with my earphones in, watching traffic flicker by to the hum of Bedhead, and I started thinking about this. I've also been around a lot of loud music over the years, be it at rock shows (or playing IN rock shows), long exposure to construction sites, and a few youthful trips to Civil War re-enactments and firing guns without hearing protection. I made sure the music wasn't too loud, but it dawned on me that it was close to being maximum volume and it wasn't too loud to my ears. That sort of scared me. Maybe this is why I've been listening to less and less music these days? I don't know.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 12/31/2006 12:40:00 AM,

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world, I am kidding. Losing your hearing isn't fun, but what can you do (other than not hear).

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger RVWarren said...

Jason, I can't hear this post very well. Could you please type louder?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home