Day 343

I'm shocked (maybe I shouldn't be shocked at all?), shocked at how many great authors tend to avoid notice in certain areas. What causes this? Why do people in, say, Grand Rapids know Fredrick Buechner when no one in western PA does? And before the whole Pulitzer/Oprah deal, Cormac McCarthy was a rare find (save for the tattered movie edition of "All the Pretty Horses" collecting dust on the shelf of a used book vendor).

It has nothing to do with 'bad taste'--folks in this area are often well read and open to new authors. What is it, though? I feel like I'm missing something.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 8/14/2007 11:33:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Passed up a copy of "All the Pretty Horses" at the Salvo the other day...should I have bought it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home