Day 338

I'll keep this brief: I went to Sheetz tonight. I wanted a small bag of potato chips, and had almost exact change for it. I gave the cashier the change and smiled, since I would be getting a single penny back.

The cashier, however, didn't hand me a penny. She said, "Have a good day next" (in a rush of punctuation-less words). I stood there for a second before she said--quizzically--"do you want your penny?" As if I answered in an affirmative I would be an outcast, a pariah.

It wasn't the penny; I have many pennies. It was just that she assumed that I didn't want my change. Having worked in retail, I realize that there are tons of folks my age that just throw change away, quite literally in some cases. I'm not a fan of massive monetary systems, but really--why make that assumption. That's really colored my opinion of the place.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 8/09/2007 11:36:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I hate pennies. I throw them away. They are a waste of taxpayer money and natural resources.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home