Sleep comes to everyone

Especially me.

All of the time, too.

Flat out, no beating around the proverbial bush. Over the past few years I've had major sleeping problems. I think it's because of college. I hope it's because of college-- at least I'll have something to blame it on and not get worried and, like, want to find a doctor who specializes in the weird sleeping patterns of weird single mid-20s Christian writers. So don't even say it. It's college.

And by sleeping problems I mean one or all of the following:
-I get tired sometimes.
-I get tired all of the time.
-I get tired enough that I fall asleep while I'm standing.
-I don't really sleep well.
-My body craves more sleep than I get but I can't actually sleep that long (sorry, wanted a sentence that didn't start with self-centered pronouns).
-And when I do sleep for a long time, my body hurts and I get cranky and want to twist the heads off of little girls' dolls.

It might've started with some of my activities in college. Er-- that sounded dangerous. I was assistant editor of my college's student newspaper for a year, and not sleeping several days in a row became the norm. I hated it. But it basically re-wrote my sleep schedule. I went from night-owl to neversleep-owl, and it hate it oh so much.

It's not narcolepsy, and I know this for a fact. And this "essay" isn't a complaint, either. It's more of a rambling reflection, a nagging mindset that repeats itself every time my vision swims and my words trip out of my mouth as my body decides to shut down midday. This is why I get worried when Mr. Summertime rolls around; the humidity, coupled with my oh-so-tiredness, turns me in a zombie. Mmmmm....brains?

I don't know how to solve this. I might try sleeping more, but I've tried it before and it didn't work. I try getting to bed earlier, but...well, that's easier said than done. It's complicated. And besides, this little fact has been beating me over the head since I started typing this: why would I want to get more sleep? I have a killer resume filled with glorious snooze stories. I have had way too much fun doing things the past three years like:

Lots of people fall asleep in church or while reading or driving, but have you ever fallen asleep in your car after work? It's pretty fun. Maybe.

This activity (or lack of activity, whatever) hasn't been plaguing me as much the past few months. I'm definitely thankful, but the insane wacky adventures that come with being an avatar of Hypnos have grown on me. I'd tell you more, but I think I'm going to hit the sack.

posted, with grace and poise, by Jason @ 7/07/2005 08:32:00 PM,

1 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Yikes. Didn't know all of this. I've lost about 30 pounds over the past few months, and I'm not sure how...maybe this is the cause?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home